Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Philippe Park Adventure

Philippe Park

It is 88 degrees Fahrenheit and I am trying not to sweat as I visit Philippe Park. The sky looks partly cloudy and it is very humid but no sign of rain. There a lots of palm trees and I am next to water. The ecosystem at the entrance of the park is Hodgepodge. It is a highly managed area. Philippe Park is located at 2525 Philippe Pkwy. Safety Harbor, FL 34695.  Philippe Park is the oldest park in Pinellas County. It was purchased in 1948 by Florida resident Odet Philippe. Odet loved the park so much that he is actually laid to rest somewhere in the park. As we venture threw the park I learn it is also the last Indian sight in the county. When we arrive on top of the Indian Mound I observe that the ecosystem has changed and we are now in a Hammock ecosystem. There is a Zebra butterfly. 



As we venture away from the Indian Mound and deeper into the park we stop next to some Mangroves. There are all three types of Mangroves present in the area, white, red, and black. The salt water here is brackish. As i look in the water I spot a Mangrove Racer swimming in the water. In all my years living in Florida I have never seen a snake swim in water so this was very exciting for me. As we begin to leave the Park the last animal I take note of is the famous Manatee.



No comments:

Post a Comment