Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Clearwater Beach!

September 24, 2015
84 degrees and feels like 2937823.
Sunny minimal clouds.

Came to explore the dunes and the beaches.
Salinity- should be 35 but our refractometer broke so we couldn't measure it!

We all met up around Palm Pavilion where we hiked what seemed like miles down the beach to were I have probably passed a million times but never even second looked at all the dunes and life before!

On our way we saw a turtle! Unfortunately I couldn't get a picture of the little booger. We saw multiple holes for crabs but none of them where out yet. They mostly come out at night when its cooler and there are no predators waiting to take their lives.

I was in the first group where we first explored the dunes!

The primary dunes were the closest to the water. They were also the smallest which is normal. They have many many years before they grow into bigger dunes due to the people walking along the beach everyday!

There were many crab holes around these but they did not seem to be growing much plant life.

Then we saw the secondary dunes! In these we saw a much more diverse area of plant life! We saw dollar weed, and ink-berry and many other types of plants! I wish we saw more animals though! There were some yellow flowers, but I forgot what they were called!

We eventually moved to the second half of the field trip which was a little blurry. We eventually thought we figured it out! But turns out we didn't however I do understand what we did wrong! We were to measure from the primary dune all the way to 30 meters every 3 measuring the distance from the tape measure to the ground.

However, I will be doing a line graph on some data showing what I mean!

I love Clearwater beach and have never really been there to explore the dunes wildlife, and beaches like I have done today! I had a great time!



No comments:

Post a Comment