Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Fred Howard Park

Fred Howard Park


      On September 17th, 2015 I visited Fred Howard park witch is located in Tarpon Springs Florida. The sky is cloudy and there is a nice breeze present. As I step into the water i note that it feels cool. Right away we find Turtle Grass and Manatee Grass. Turtle Grass is flat and wide while Manatee grass is more round. Other organisms have the capability of living on the sea grass.  As I continue to look at the ground I notice green and pink spots in the sand. These spots are actually bacteria and Sea Foam is actually fats from organisms. We then used a Seine net to see what organisms we can capture. We caught a Fiddler Crab and some silver minnows. 

     We tested the water's P.H. level and discover it is 6. The salinity of the water is 35. As I get ready to Snorkel I notice an Eagle Ray. While I am underwater I notice that many fish including pin fish not only seem to live in the Sea grass but they also use it as a food source. As i am Snorkeling I see a variety of fish. I am only able to identify Mangrove Snappers and the Spotted Sea Trout. We also found a Scallop witch was still alive and seemed upset that we where holding it. Overall this field trip was the most fun and most informative for me so far.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment