Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Hammock Park, Florida

On Thursday November 19th I visited Hammock Park in Dunedin Florida.  It was 79° outside but it felt more like 85°. The humidity on this day was unbearable, I literally was sweating in place. Hammock park was purchased in 1965. Most of the park is a Low Hammock ecosystem. As we begin our journey into the park I see a barrel for Air Potatoes. These are a highly invasive species and the park encourages you to throw them away into these garbage cans. There are Cabbage palms present in the park, these also happen to be the state tree. As I venture further into the park the canopy becomes more dense and I can see that this is a low light ecosystem.



The trees here are all pretty big as they try to leach the light. Some of the trees in this park are over 100 years old. There is a lot of epiphytes present. Fungus is easy to find here since the ecosystem relies on it. Fire would not be good for this ecosystem. As I turn around to start my walk back to my car I almost step on a Black Racer. These stakes are common in Florida and not venomous. Resurrection ferns are present as well. They look like they are dormant and waiting for water on this day.


No comments:

Post a Comment