Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Brooker Creek

On November 12th 2015 I visited Brooker Creek park. I saw two deer on the road leading up to the park. The weather is very nice, there are barely any clouds out and it is 81 degrees..The park is located off of Keystone Rd, in Tarpon Springs. This beautiful park is approximately 8,700 acres. This was my first time visiting this park and I was surprised to hear it has 4 ecosystems. This park contains Forested Wetlands, Oak Hammocks, Pine Flatwoods, and Cypress Domes. At the beginning of my trip here I venture into the swamp. The Forested Wetlands are very nice. The creek is flowing but I hear it partially dries up in the winter.




 As I continue to walk threw the park I walk into the Dry Oak Hammock ecosystem. This area is dominated by Oak trees, palmettos and sandy soils. Animals like the Gopher tortoise and the Pygmy Rattlesnake. I must say my favorite out of these ecosystems that day was the Pine Flatwoods. This ecosystem had a lot of pine trees and grasses. It also contained a lot of palmettos. This area has controlled burns every 3 to 5 years to help the ecosystem flourish.


No comments:

Post a Comment