Saturday, September 3, 2016

Moccasin Lake Park

Moccasin Lake park was pretty neat. I had forgotten that it was there having been when I was a kid, it brought back some cool memories. When I was a kid I can't remember if they were already affected by the weed problem, but I was very sad to see that the parks natural hammocks were being over run by the Caesar weed. With already the limited amount of space in our area for their to be natural Florida environment it sort of adds insult to injury that we'd have an invasive weed problem in those areas as well.

I enjoyed some of the wildlife we saw on the trip. 

                                            
   Hylatomus pileatus

The Pileated Woodpecker(Hylatomus pileatus) Which I learned upon further research is the largest woodpecker in Florida and possibly the United States being as large as a crow.


                                           
                                                                        Pavo cristatus

The Indian peafowl(male) or peahen(female) (Pavo cristatus) native to South Asia is a very common bird to see in Florida. They live mainly on the ground however they can fly short distances and their loud call is designed to alert the surrounding area in South Asia that there is a Tiger near and to be on the alert.

There were several other plants and animals we saw on this trip and our lovely professor did a wonderful job telling us about each one. I'm looking forward to our future trips and I might even submit my next blog post on time.


No comments:

Post a Comment