Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Fred Howard Park 09/23/2016

Fred Howard Park
Around 90°F
09-23-2016

Throughout the day I was increasingly surprised by the obviously vast amounts of sea creatures present in the seagrasses. Truthfully, in the past, I have always avoided mucking through seagrasses while in the water when the clear, sandy areas always seemed more appealing, so I had no idea how much there was so close to the shore. Though using the seine net yielded little results it was not difficult to capture hermit crabs in the grasses, view needle fish and minnows swimming about, and even what I am pretty sure was a sea scallop.









What I loved the most about this trip was the snorkeling. Again, another first for me. It felt like a total separation from normalcy the moment I put my head underwater; an entirely different type of ecosystem from anything on land and teeming with life. I was able to watch many different types of fish (none of which I can name) weaving their way through the shoalgrass and investigate live sea sponges as I followed what seemed like sandy trails through the flowing grasses.



Seeing the sea oats up close made it clearer how they become an anchor for sands to become dunes. Although I came away with a sunburn that is only now beginning to fade after some days, it is something I look forward to doing again soon. It was an experience that made a real impact on my view of just exactly how immense the ecosystems underwater are now. Truthfully, I have never been a water person. The idea of being in that different of an environment with unknown creatures has always frightened me. Perhaps I’ve watched too many television shows during Shark Week. Just having this experience has bolstered my confidence and dropped my level of fear. I’m even considering scuba diving in the future, as I want to see more ecosystems further off the coast. 









No comments:

Post a Comment