Friday, September 30, 2016

Fred Howard Park

Last week for class, we went out to Fred Howard Park in Tarpon Springs. This has been one of my favorite so far because we got to snorkel and observe sea grasses teeming with life. Snorkeling was the best way to see because the sediment is so loose that it clouds the water when disturbed making visibility difficult. Gliding across the top of the shallow water provided the best view.

As I floated, I saw areas covered with sea grass and occasional bare spots along the floor. If I looked carefully I saw small fish and some larger ones swimming among the grasses watching me as I passed by. I saw a couple of sponge bush-like formations in centers of small grass meadows. This also proved a popular place for fish to gather.

We learned that the sea grasses are very important for the ecosystem because the provide food and shelter for small organisms. The factors that influence the survival of these grasses include temperature, water depth, and coverage. The sea grasses thrive in the shallower waters where they can photosynthesize. If larger trees were covering the water surface, these grasses would not be able to maintain without sunlight.

 it was a beautiful and sunny day :)
 a small crab between two twigs 
 black mangrove seed on it's journey of life

No comments:

Post a Comment