Friday, October 21, 2016

Sawgrass Lake Park

Last Friday (10/14/16), we took a stroll throughout Sawgrass Lake Park in St. Pete. The weather was around 80 degrees with a slight breeze! I learned the differences between lakes and ponds. Lakes are larger of the two. Majority of sinkhole lakes are located in Florida, that didn't surprise me one bit after hearing it!

Approaching the lake in Sawgrass Park, I was informed that the shoreline zone is the most productive of the three main zones. There is a lot more diversity in animals and lifeforms compared to the other two zones (euphotic and benthic).

The biggest threats to this ecosystem are: humans, climate change and lead (from the gun range next door to the park.)

The lake was contaminated by lead due to the shooting range behind the park. The restoration started in 2011 and was completed in 2015. Studies are still done to make sure the lake doesn't get contaminated again.

Walking up to the boardwalk literally took my breath away at how beautiful the view was! It seemed as if everything else around me had paused and I was just gazing at the beauty of the scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment