Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Moccasin Lake Park

Date: 10/6/14
Weather: 77 degree Fahrenheit, 25% cloud coverage 
Area: managed hammock ecosystem


My favorite part of this trip was observing the interesting animals inside the building. I took several pictures of this toad. I initially thought it was awkwardly shaped until I realized that this toad is just relaxing peacefully on top of its friend.



These bugs are called Yellow Mealworm (Tenebrio molitor). They are not actually a worm, although the beginning stages of its life (larva stage) it looks like a worm and it eventually develops into the pupal stage and then its adult phase and looks like the bug below. These bugs are fed to reptiles such as birds, fish, and rodents.


This is a Chilean Rose Tarantula (Grammodstola rosea). They come from southern Peru and northern Chile. Since they live in extremely hot temperatures, they dig 18 inches into the ground to live.



When I walked outside I saw a few birds including a vulture and this Bald Eagle. The Bald Eagle mostly eats fish and sometimes birds or small mammals. In Florida these birds prefer to nest in long leaf pines. They mate with one partner for life and there are more than 5,000 Bald Eagles in Florida.



I observed several plants including the Laurel Oak, Caster plant, Oak tree, Maple tree, and more. Below are some pictures of canopy layers that I saw throughout our walk. There was a small under story and obvious shrub layer.





More creatures inside the building.





Victoria Millman

No comments:

Post a Comment