Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Brooker Creek Preserve

Date: 13 NOV 2014
System: Partially Managed

Environmental conditions: 72 degrees Fahrenheit; sunny; 59% humidity; Fire Danger moderate

What an eventful trip! Sadly, none of the pictures that I took were saved :( (I think I accidentally deleted my gallery while falling on my dupa alongside the water...at least I didn't go into the water thanks to Lindsey's helping hand) However, most of the pictures in prior posts tell the story beautifully!

While walking along the boardwalk at the beginning of the field trip, we were able to see a swampy area on the left and pine flatlands along the right side. The boardwalk was directly over the ecotone, which is the transition area between two biomes. We then left the boardwalk and walked to a slightly higher elevation and observed three layers of forest. We saw the canopy, the understory and the forest floor. In areas where the canopy was open, there was more vegetation on the forest floor due to increased light through the canopy layer.

Then the fun began! We waded through knee-deep water in some places...hence the name "Blackwater Trail." I was proud of our class and their willingness to continue! I was grossed out at first by the muck and murk, but then resigned myself to the trek. The most exciting sight for me was the coiled Pygmy Rattlesnake...I had never seen one, so this was cool! Insert imaginary picture here. (I actually got a good picture of this!)

I hope that we do not have to wade through anymore water for the rest of the semester, but I am glad to have shared the experience with our group.


No comments:

Post a Comment