Sunday, August 30, 2015

Moccasin Lake

Weather: Overcast, 78 degrees, humid and slightly breezy.

Moccasin lake was a great adventure. I had an awesome time exploring this trail. Upon arriving I felt excitement considering it wasn't too hot outside and there was a nice breeze rolling through. Sure it was still a little too warm for me but at least it didn't feel like a typical Florida summer day. Unfortunately I was so caught up in the experience that I forgot to take any pictures so I apologize in advance for the lack of color in my post.

This trip was a great way of introducing a wide array of native and non native Florida wildlife to the students. We saw everything from Cuban anoles to an American alligator. best of all, We were able to see many captive animals that would be difficult to find during our hike. It was great to be able to spend time with several reptiles and birds of prey.

Most memorable though, was Elvis the black vulture. He was such an interesting bird with a lot of energy. It was easy to see that he just wanted attention from everybody. When i approached the cage he seemed to immediately notice me and he proceeded to come closer. I spent a good amount of time sitting there with him just staring in his eyes and talking to him. when i got up to walk away he followed me, so i walked in the other direction and he continued to follow. i started running back and forth and he would copy my every move. this was really exciting because most wild birds wouldn't act in this manner. Elvis was such a great showman that he alone made my trip worthwhile, everything else was just bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment